Saturday, March 17, 2007

Lent

I've really enjoyed Lent this year. It seems an odd thing to say but it's true. I see and feel a lot of parallels with the Advent season. I didn't really give up anything this year. In the past, I've asked God to expose any idol or potential idolatry in my life, and then that becomes what I would give up. But God didn't expose any external idolatry in my life this year--which is a good thing!! On the other hand, it's been more internal--the harder stuff to get rid of sometimes. It's been my own selfishness. I've been preaching a lot on sin. Maybe my folks are getting tired of it! But in preaching sin, I also get to preach redemption and forgiveness and how it is always, always available. And I've been preaching to and for myself because it's what I've needed.

2 comments:

Angela Shih said...

I've found it easier for me to see how much I've fallen short of God's grace in the past few years. But, I celebrate that, because one, I'm not in this other universe that requires me to live in my own righteousness, and building my house upon it. In seeing that sin, I can celebrate God's grace and redemption like you said! There's freedom in that! Can you believe that there's freedom in acknowledge your sins? Unbelievable, how incredible God truly is! I would have LOVED your preaching on sin and redemption! :) I bet you did wonderful!!!

Pastor Parato said...

Exactly, Angela. I celebrate for the same reason. I learned a long time ago that I am utterly incapable of being my own Savior.